Amazingly kind words shared about this recipe over on the Create with Joy blog today! And I couldn’t agree more – when I think of comfort food I think of Mac & Cheese too. The Asparagus Mac & Cheese recipe was featured in this week’s Friendship Friday Blog Hop.
This recipe has been one of my favorite to make a video of so far. In case you missed it, here is the video:
And here is the recipe!
Asparagus Mac & Cheese
- 1½ lb Short Pasta rotini, shells, elbows, penne
- 1 lb Asparagus cut in 2-in pieces
- 1 lb Bacon cut in 1/2-in pieces
- 3 tbsp Butter
- 3 tbsp Flour AP or Whole Wheat
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1½ cup Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tbsp Parsley
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Start water boiling for pasta
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add bacon pieces. Cook until crispy and remove to a plate with a paper towel.
- Add pasta to boiling water and cook as directed on the package. In the last 2 minutes of cook time add the asparagus to the boiling water. Drain in colander and rinse with cool water to arrest cooking process then return to pot.
- While the past is cooking, in a separate saucepan over medium heat, add butter and garlic powder. Cook until butter is completely melted then whisk in flour and cook for 2-3 minutes. Whisk in chicken broth and cook for 3 minutes more. Whisk in heavy cream and cook 3 minutes more. Add salt and begin to add cheese by the handful, stirring regularly, until all is added. Then stir in parsley.
- Pour sauce over cooked pasta and asparagus and combine well. Stir in half of cooked bacon. Serve in a pasta dish with a sprinkle of remaining bacon on top.