Just like with burgers and pizzas, I feel like you can turn just about any classic flavor profile into a One Pot meal! And that is exactly what I was out to prove with this Sausage & Pepper Rice recipe – an all in one pot rice dish with the classic flavors of sausage & peppers sandwich, right now to the melty provolone cheese on top! The rice does such an amazing job of taking on the flavors of the seasonings to make an almost undone sausage!
You do need at large – 12 inch or more – saute pan. This is a pan that has a wide flat bottom and side walls at least 3 inches tall with a lid. Cast iron would work as well, as long as you have a lid for it. I have the Ninja Kitchen 12 inch 5 quart saute pan for these one pot meals. They have the versatility of a frying and cooking the meats and still have the depth to cook pastas and rice thoroughly. And no this is not a Ninja Kitchen ad – I just love my Ninja Kitchen Pans so much!
I know not everyone likes or even puts mushrooms on their sausage and pepper sandwiches – but I very much prefer it! Its a great earthy addition to the veggie mix. You may also think it’s a bit much in the garlic department but I’m just gonna flat out say it – you can never have too much garlic! It’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it!
This is a super hearty and filling dish, so sides are not necessary at all. Really you have all that you need – your meat, veg and starch – all in the dish. But if you wanted to spread it out and just mix it up, a salad and or dinner roll would be good with it for sure!
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Sausage & Peppers Rice
- 2 lb Ground Pork
- 1 tsp Coarse Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ Medium Yellow Onion minced
- 6 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 Red Bell Pepper diced
- 1 Green Bell Pepper diced
- 1 cup White Mushrooms sliced
- 2½ cup Long Grain Rice
- 1½ qt Beef Broth
- 6 slices Provolone Cheese
- ½ tsp Oregano
- In a large saute pan over medium high heat, add pork, pepper, salt, onion and garlic. Cook and crumble for 4 minutes then add cumin, red pepper flakes, bell peppers and mushrooms. Cook another 4 minutes. Then add rice and cook, while stiring another 4 minutes.
- Add broth and bring just to a bubble. Reduce heat to medium and cover pan. Let cook for 30 minutes.
- At the end of the cook time, remove pan from heat. Remove lid and quickly lay slices of cheese in a single layer evenly over top of rice, sprinkle with oregano and return lid. Let sit until cheese is melted (about 5 minutes).
Estelle Forrest’s self-published first cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook – was created after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Estelle self-published a second cookbook – Burgers on a Weeknight – recently. It has over 60 delicious burger creations! You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!