I know, I know – another Chicken & Rice dish – but I promise you this one is going to knock your socks off! The amount of flavor developed in such a short period of cook time is so very incredible. Granted the marinating of the chicken helps a lot with this, but you are going to love the mingled flavors of turmeric, cumin, and oregano. And it’s a one pot meal, which makes it perfect for a weeknight dinner for a busy family. Turmeric Chicken & Rice is a just what this weeks menu plan needs!
Using bone-in chicken for one pot meals is what helps you get that cooked all day taste in under an hour. The marinade also goes a long way when it comes to developing flavor. You can do a quick marinade of an hour, you can get it marinating on your lunch break, before leaving for work in the morning or the night before. The longer you can let it marinate, the more flavor you will develop in the end. I choose to remove the skin from the bone-in chicken thighs, mostly because I don’t care for soggy skin and it is very difficult to keep crispy when cooking a one pot meal.
Turmeric is a super tasty seasoning very common in Indian cuisines. It also has incredible nutritional and health values. Specifically it is great for heart health as it is great anti-inflammatory properties. It is also linked to anti-depression, help with arthritis, and antioxidants which help with immune health. While it is more potent when taken in capsule form, putting it into food regularly can help you access such benefits as well.
This is a very hearty meal, so doesn’t necessarily need much in the way of sides. Those some masala corn on the side would be so good. You could also serve with some roti or naan on the side. I just added a little bit of Greek Yogurt on top, which brings a little bit of cooling for the slight heat of the curry powder. Just be absolutely sure that you use Plain Greek Yogurt – and not vanilla or any other flavors. You will be so very disappointed if you add in a sweet vanilla yogurt to your perfect Turmeric Chicken & Rice.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Turmeric Chicken & Rice
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 Small Yellow Onion diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 tbsp Tumeric
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Oregano
- 3 cups Long Grain Rice
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 qt Chicken Broth
- 8 oz Plain Greek Yogurt optional
- 6 Chicken Thighs, bone-in skins removed
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp Turmeric
- 2 tbsp Oregano
- 2 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Onion Powder
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- Add all of the ingredients for Chicken to a zipper bag. Let marinade for at least 1 hour (up to 24 hours).
- Add oil to a large saute pan over medium heat. Remove chicken from zipper bag (RESERVE MARINADE). Once oil is hot, cook chicken on each side for 3 minutes. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Add onion and garlic to the same pan and sauce for 2 minutes. Add turmeric, oregano, and cumin. Continue to toast another 2 minutes. Then add rice and salt, then toast another 2 minutes.
- Add reserved marinade and quart of chicken broth. Bring just to a boil then reduce heat to medium. Place pieces of chicken evenly over rice. Cover and cook for 25 minutes more.
- Serve portion of rice with piece of chicken and a dollop of Greek Yogurt, if desired.
Estelle Forrest’s self-published first cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook – was created after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Estelle self-published a second cookbook – Burgers on a Weeknight – recently. It has over 60 delicious burger creations! You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!