Weeknights can be rough sometimes – getting dinner on the table doesn’t need to make it harder than it has to be. This one pot Mexican Beef & Rice is so easy to put together and you probably have most of the staple ingredients in your kitchen already. It is also a very hearty meal that is sure to fill everyone up! By cooking this all in one pan, you get so much flavor developed in a short cook time.
One pot meals are a busy family’s dream. Especially one like this, that sits covered for most of the cook time. You can get things done around the house while it cooks away and gets so much flavor pushed into the rice and beef. I used jalapenos and a hot red taco sauce. As always, adjust as you need to for heat levels. Green chilies are great to swap out for the jalapenos. And you can use mild, medium or hot taco sauce (red or green).
I served this with a could of warm tortillas (soft taco sized) so that we could rip pieces off and put spoon fulls of the rice & beef mixtures. And some sour cream for garnish is good too. Since this dish has all the bases covered (veggies, starch and protein) I didn’t add anything on the side. This stuff is also great as a lunch leftover.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Mexican Beef & Rice
- 2 tbsp Oil
- ½ White Onion diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1½ lb Ground Beef
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 3 cup Beef Broth
- 1 15oz can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 4oz can Diced Jalapenos
- 1 15oz can Corn
- 1 tbsp Lime Juice
- 2 tbsp Taco Sauce
- 2 cups Rice
- 2 cups Colby Jack Cheese shredded
- 3 Green Onions chopped
- Sour Cream for garnish
- Tortillas if desired
- Add oil, onion and garlic to large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Cook for 3 minutes then add ground beef, cumin, chili powder, oregano. Cook and crumble until no longer pink.
- Add beef broth, tomatoes, corn, jalapenos, lime juice, and taco sauce. Bring just a boil and add in rice. Reduce heat to medium and cover pan. Cook for 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Remove lid, sprinkle with cheese and replace lid. Let sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Sprinkle with green onions and top with sour cream and/taco sauce, as desired. Serve with warm tortilla, if desired.
Estelle Forrest’s self-published first cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook – was created after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Estelle self-published a second cookbook – Burgers on a Weeknight – recently. It has over 60 delicious burger creations! You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!