Who doesn’t love a grilled cheese sandwich? I mean at any age, they are just so good. More and more people are getting extra creative with their grilled cheese creations and they are popping up on restaurant menus everywhere. So I decided to get on this trend and make a Pizza Grilled Cheese! It came out so tasty. Pepperoni, Italian sausage and bacon with cheddar AND mozzarella cheese!
To add to the pizza vibe, I also included red pepper flakes inside and parmesan cheese on the outside. By putting the parmesan cheese in the melted garlic butter you get a crispier outer layer on the bread that makes it so dang tasty. This sandwich got me the forever funny comment from the boys – “Why didn’t you make more?” – gets me every time.
I served this up with my Crockpot Creamy Tomato Soup. It is such a simple combination but so full of flavor, your whole family is going to love it. The soup is thick enough to dip the grilled cheese right into and get an absolutely delicious bite! It was plenty of food for dinner (despite the boys wanting more). But if you needed to stretch it, a nice green salad with Italian salad would fit right in!
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Pizza Grilled Cheese
- 1 Griddle
- ½ lb Italian Sausage
- 24 slices Pepperoni
- 6 slices bacon cut into ¼ inch pieces
- 8 slices Cheddar Cheese
- 8 slices Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 16 slices Sourdough Bread
- 4 tbsp Butter melted
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Parsley
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- Add bacon to frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook until crispy and remove to paper towel covered plate.
- Add Italian sausage to same frying pan. Cook and crumble until cooked through. Drain off excess grease.
- Melt butter. Add garlic powder, parsley, and parmesan cheese. Brush one side of each slice of bread and lay butter side down to start building the sandwiches. Note: Its best to build all of the sandwiches before you start cooking them.
- Preheat griddle to medium-high.
- Start to stack the sandwich – slice of cheddar, 4 pieces of pepperoni, sprinkle of bacon, sprinkle of sausage, sprinkle of Italian Seasoning and red pepper flakes. Top with slice of mozzarella and second piece of bread (butter side out). Press down slightly to help hold it all together.
- Once griddle is hot, begin frying each sandwich, cooking each for 3-4 minutes on each side. Best to cook as many at once as you can, so they all are hot when you serve them.
Estelle Forrest’s self-published first cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook – was created after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Estelle self-published a second cookbook – Burgers on a Weeknight – recently. It has over 60 delicious burger creations! You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!