One of the best ways to get your kids veggies is to cover them with cheese!! And that is what makes this side dish so so so good. Three Cheese Broccoli Mac is an ooey gooey cheesy pasta dish that your kids will want seconds of. Sharp Cheddar, Mozzarella and Mild Cheddar make for that super satisfying cheese pull with every bite!
I like to use chicken broth to make my cheese sauce. If you want to keep it vegetarian you can certainly swap out for vegetable broth instead. I just advise against just using water – you miss the chance to add flavor. The cheese also has enough saltiness that you don’t need to add more.
When I made this last, I served it with a Rosemary Lemon Spatchcock Smoked Chicken. Spatchcock refers to the way the chicken is butchered and cooked. It is a means of cooking an entire chicken in less time by flattening it out more while keeping it in tact to still get all the great flavors you get from cooking with the bones.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Three Cheese Broccoli Mac
- 1½ lb Short Pasta elbows, shells, penne
- 2 cup Broccoli chopped
For the Sauce
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 4 tbsp Flour
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 cup Sharp Cheddar shredded
- 1 cup Mozzarella shredded
- 1 cup Cheddar shredded
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Start water boiling for pasta.
- In a small sauce pan over medium heat, add butter and garlic powder. Once melted, add flour and whisk for 2 minutes. Whisk in broth and cook for 2 minutes. Whisk in heavy cream and cook for 2 minutes. Add cheese by the handful and continue whisking until sauce forms.
- Add pasta to water and cook as directed on package. In last two minutes of cook time, add broccoli to boiling water. Drain in colander and rinse with cool water. Return to pot, away from heat. Pour cheese sauce over top and stir to combine.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!