Not all side dishes need to be pasta or potatoes – beans make a delicious and #ketofriendly side. You get the added protein AND the smaller carb count. This bean side is a fresh, bright, bold side salad packed with protein. White Bean Salad has a delicious homemade orange Dijon dressing over fresh bell pepper, arugula, red onion, and goat cheese! It’s perfect for any meat which you pull off the grill or smoker. It also holds up so well – it makes for a go-to potluck recipe.
Even when you have a powerhouse main dish – the side should not be a slouch. You need something to pack a punch that stands up to a hearty dish like Beer Can Chicken or a Citrus Whole Chicken! The delicious homemade orange dijon dressing really brings this simple salad together. The goat cheese is what knocks it out of the park. If you haven’t eaten goat cheese — please – PUH-LEASE – go out and get some. You can get a really decent variety at Costco – it doesn’t have to be some sort of $20/lb stuff. Goat cheese is such an underrated delight and I hope you will go out and try it.
I served this stellar side with a simple Beer Can Chicken. I just brine a whole chicken overnight in water, salt, and garlic powder. Put 2 sticks of butter, salt, pepper, minced garlic in a baking dish, and put the chicken on a lager. Put it on the grill for 1 hour. Then remove beer from chicken and pour into baking dish. Place chicken (breast up) in the baking dish and put into a preheated 400deg oven for 30 minutes.
The homemade dressing for this delicious salad is very versatile. You could use it for a pasta salad, or even just over a traditional side salad. It would go beautifully over a crispy chicken salad or a chef’s salad as well. The real trick to getting the dressing to come together and stay together is SHAKING IT! This works for any vinaigrette style dressing – put all of the ingredients into a mason jar or a salad dressing shaker, if you have one. Secure the lid and give it some really good shaking. You will get such a better mix than if you try to stir it.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
White Bean Salad
- Mason Jar with lid and ring
- 2 15oz can Great Nothern Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Arugula rough chopped
- 1 cup Goat Cheese crumbled
- 1 Red Bell Pepper diced
- ½ Red Onion diced
For the Dressing
- 1 Large Navel Orange zest and juice
- ¼ cup Avocado Oil
- ¼ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- 2 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- Prepare all of the ingredients.
- Add all ingredients for the dressing to a mason jar. Secure with lid and ring and shake – shake – shake. Place in refrigerator until ready to add to salad.
- In a bowl, add beans, onion, bell pepper and arugula. Toss to combine. Shake dressing very well then pour over veggies. Sprinkle in goat cheese and gently fold to combine (do not stir too hard, the cheese will break up too much). Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to serve. (up to 24 hours)
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!