Side Dishes are an important part of any meal, but especially important when it comes to the holiday season. I like to think of side dishes as supporting characters – they should compliment the main dish but not necessarily outshine. This particular side dish walks that fine line very well. Bacon Green Beans is so totally simple, you are going to be shocked by the amount of flavor you get!
When you read the recipe you might be a bit shocked to see that it’s literally only four ingredients. And – YES! – you really do just cook it all in the bacon grease. Trust me on this one! While your vegetarian/vegan family and friends won’t be able to try this dish – the meat eaters are going to absolutely love it!
The greatest thing about this side dish is that it basically goes with anything. A perfect side for a spiral ham, a roasted turkey or a nice juicy prime rib! You can have it along side potatoes, salads, mac & cheese. It is so delicious but simple.
My cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook by Estelle Forrest – has an entire section on Side Dishes, if you are in need of some more ideas this holiday season.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Bacon Green Beans
- ½ lb Bacon cut in ½-inch pieces
- 2 lb Green Beans ends trimmed
- ½ Red Onion diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Preheat oven to 400deg.
- In a frying pan over medium high heat, add bacon. Cook until crispy but do not remove bacon or grease from pan.
- Spread green beans over a large baking sheet. Sprinkle with onions and garlic. Then pour bacon and bacon grease over the top. Using tongs, toss the green beans around on the baking sheet to coat and combine. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here: