Comfort Food is always a win! And it doesn’t get more comforting than a chicken pot pie! With a family my size – it’s hard to make the right amount if I actually use a pie dish. Because 1 isn’t enough and 2 is way too much. I decided to meet in the middle and use a casserole dish instead. So here is my recipe for Chicken Pot Pie Casserole!
The puff pastry makes the crust very light and flaky. You can also use biscuits or make your own dough for the top. I am not a pastry chef by any stretch of the imagination – so I just buy mine from the frozen foods section. When you put it on top of the baking dish, it will hang over a bit. Don’t worry – when it puffs up it will sort of shrink to fit the size of the dish.
Some people like a lot of different veggies in their pot pie – but I’m a peas & carrots fan all the way. Too much gets it muddled. I like the chicken to really be the start. But you could certainly use more types of veggies – just make sure the amounts add up – you don’t want to overfill your baking dish.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Chicken Pot Pie Casserole
- 1½ lb Chicken Breast cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 Yellow Onion diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1½ stick Butter
- 3 tbsp Flour
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Rosemary
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 1 16oz bag Frozen Peas & Carrots
- 2 sheets Puff Pastry
- 1 tsp Parsley
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Preheat oven to 425deg.
- In a large pot over medium high heat, add half a stick of butter, onions, garlic, rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper. Cook for 3 minutes then add chicken. Cook for 5 minutes., stirring often.
- Reduce heat to medium and push contents of pot to one side. Add half stick of butter. Once melted, whisk in flour and let cook for 3 minutes. Then whisk in chicken broth. Combine all contents of the pot and add peas & carrots. Let cook for 3 minutes and stir in heavy cream.
- Transfer contents of the pot to a 13 x 9 baking dish. Melt remaining half stick of butter. Place puff pastry sheets over top of baking dish and brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with parsley. Place in oven for 30 minutes.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
AVAILABLE IN PRINT OR KINDLE eBOOK VERSIONS
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!
2 thoughts on “Chicken Pot Pie Casserole”
Looks deliciously satisfying! Thanks for sharing at the What’s for Dinner party! Have a wonderful weekend and hope to see you this Sunday at the party.