Some flavors just go together so well and BBQ Sauce, Chicken, Cheese and Onions are one of them. My family loves to order BBQ Chicken Pizza, so I decided to try a few different ways to get similar flavors. And I landed on BBQ Chicken Enchiladas and it was a total win!
Making the BBQ Sauce for this dish is so easy you are gonna laugh. You literally just put the ingredients into a pan, whisk it together and let it simmer while the chicken is cooking. But it has such a great flavor – you will want to pin it for later! It goes great on grilled chicken, or to make your own western bacon cheeseburgers. My kids like to use it for their chicken tenders too.
My oldest son – who loves all things bbq sauce and chicken – was a bit skeptical about this dish. Which is why it meant the most that he was the one saying this one is allowed into regular rotation. He did have one critique though – and I’m here for it! – add crispy bacon bits! I will probably cut a half pound of bacon into half inch pieces and then fry them up till crispy. Then I will test out putting it on top with the cheese and onions before baking as well as waiting to sprinkle them on after plating.
Enchiladas are so fun to make and easy too! You really just need a meat, a sauce and some cheese – anything else is just being getting fancy! I have a few different enchilada recipes that my family loves – check them out here – Enchilada Recipes.
Now let’s get cookin’!
BBQ Chicken Enchiladas
- 18 Flour Tortillas soft taco size
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 2 lbs Chicken Thighs boneless, skinless
- 1 qt Chicken Broth
- ½ Red Onion diced
- 3 Scallions Chopped
For the Sauce
- 1 9oz can Tomato Paste
- ½ cup Vinegar
- ½ cup Ketchup
- ½ cup Chicken Broth
- ¼ cup Bourbon I used Jim Beam
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Paprika
- 1 tbsp Parsley
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Preheat oven to 400 deg.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, combine all the ingredients for the BBQ sauce. Whisk until fully combined and bring to just a bubble. Reduce heat and let simmer until ready to build enchiladas.
- In another sauce pan over medium-high heat, add chicken and chicken broth. Cook for 20 minutes. Remove chicken and shred it.
- Start with a thin layer of sauce in the bottom of a 13×9 baking dish. Fill each tortilla with a portion of chicken and a sprinkle of red onions. Line them up in the baking dish. Pour remaining sauce over enchiladas. Sprinkle with cheese, remaining red onions and scallions. Place in oven and cook for 15 minutes.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
AVAILABLE IN PRINT OR KINDLE eBOOK VERSIONS
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!
9 thoughts on “BBQ Chicken Enchiladas – with homemade sauce!”
Ooooh, these look amazing. I love making enchiladas. Your recipe is very closed to the way I cook them so I can tell these must be delcious #KCACOLS
This sounds yummy! I have had bbq mexican once before, I didn’t think I would like the combo, but it was actually really tasty! Thank you for sharing at Embracing Home and Family
This is so my sort of food, love chicken enchiladas so will have to try this one out. Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next time
I think my teenage daughter would love this and it is a recipe the kids would enjoy making with me too xx KCACOLS
These look absolutely delicious. Definitely saving the recipe. #KCACOLS
Sounds so yummy and looks easy enough to make. I’ll bookmark it #kcacols
I am so glad I came across this recipe! I have always wanted to try enchiladas at home but I did it once years ago and the sauce was so bland I never returned to it. This really does look easy so I think I’ll give it a try! Thank you! #KCACOLS
My kids love enchiladas. They are always a favourite. Thanks so much for linking up at #KCACOLS. Hope you come back again next time.