Risotto is one of those dishes that people tend to shy away from because they think it’s too difficult. Probably because on all those cooking competition shows it’s always the risotto that sends someone home. In truth risotto is a very technique driven dish – but it’s not actually difficult. This recipe for Bacon Risotto is going to make you flip! A creamy delicious and simple risotto packed with cheese and BACON!
Most of the deterrent to making risotto is the time it takes – because you do have to stand there and stir it basically the whole time it’s cooking. But honestly – the deliciousness that comes out of it makes it all worth it. When I make risotto, I just choose a simple protein – either baked chicken or grilled steak – something that I don’t have to tend to much once I have it cooking. You can also make this as the main dish too – it is pretty hearty!
Having the right pan is also important for success here! You want a wide shallow pan so that the rice can cook evenly in a relatively thin layer. If it gets too mounded up, you will end up with some over done pieces of rice and some under done pieces.
Now let’s get cookin’!
- 1 lb Bacon cut in ½-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 lb Arborio Rice
- ½ cup White Wine
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- 4 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- ½ cup Heavy Cream
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1 tsp Parsley for garnish
- Prepare all of the ingredients.
- In a large saute pan over medium high heat, add bacon. Cook until crispy then remove to a paper towel covered plate. Reserve 2 tbsp of bacon grease, remove the rest from the pan.
- In the same pan add butter, and garlic. Reduce heat to medium and cook for 3 minutes. Add rice to pan, stirring often toast for 3-4 minutes.
- Add white wine, lemon juice, salt and basil to pan and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Once wine is mostly absorbed begin stirring in chicken broth – a half a cup at a time. Continuously stir the rice while the broth is absorbed about 3 minutes. Then add another half a cup, stir and repeat until all of the broth has been added.
- Add ¾ of the cooked bacon, Parmesan cheese and heavy cream and mix until well combined. Serve with a sprinkle of bacon and parsley on top.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
AVAILABLE IN PRINT OR KINDLE eBOOK VERSIONS
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!
2 thoughts on “Bacon Risotto – so yummy!”
Anything with bacon has got to be delicious! Great idea. Thank you for sharing on Fiesta Friday.