A simple, delicious soup that gives you all the flavors of Spaghetti on a spoon! Give my Spaghetti Soup a try this Meatless Monday. It is a bowl full of homemade goodness that will warm everyone. It’s also all in one pot – so less dishes!!
I actually started making a version of this as a teenager. I would just bowl a single portion of pasta, pour in one of those small cans of tomato sauce, and then stir in a packet each of Parmesan cheese and red pepper flakes that we always had leftover from pizza. To be honest – it hasn’t changed all that much in the last 20 years. Sometime you just don’t need to mess with something so simple yet delicious.
I usually serve this with some bread sticks and a quick Caesar salad. I have also mixed in some mini-meatballs or some chunks of sausage to make it a little more hearty. This is a great budget-friendly meal that is sure to please your kids. Soups are a great meal for the colder months and you really don’t need a lot of time to get a ton of flavor out of them.
I pulled the recipe straight out of my cookbook to share with you all. If you like it and want to see more family weeknight meal ideas – please check it out. It is called Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook by Estelle Forrest and it is available in Paperback and eBook Versions.
- 1½ lb Medium Shell Pasta
- 2 15 oz cans Tomato Puree
- 1 9 oz can Tomato Paste
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese Grated
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp Coarse Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp Basil
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Prepare all of the ingredients
- In a large pot, bring water to boil for the pasta. Add pasta and prepare as directed on the package. Drain all but 3 cups of pasta water and pasta from pot.
- Stir in tomato pasta and puree, as well as the seasonings. Reduce heat to medium and let simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in Parmesan cheese and serve.