As the nights get cooler and we all settle in for Fall – soups always come to my mind. I love a creamy and simple soup that I can make on a weeknight. My recipe for Potato Leek Soup with Sausage fits the bill every time. You get a full flavored soup in less than an hour.
I love to use Chicken Sausages – they are a healthier version of sausage, they cook quickly and they come in wide variety of flavors. Its also fairly easy to find organic versions to make sure you aren’t getting a whole bunch of fillers instead of chicken! I really love the Open Nature brand, but I think that might be regional.
This soup recipe is one of the favorites from my cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook. If you don’t have a copy yet – maybe you need one? This recipe mentions the use of an immersion blender. I am in love with mine – it makes everything so creamy and it does it so fast. I have this one. If you don’t have one – no worries! You can use a regular blender – just make sure to leave the lid off and cover with a towel because hot liquids can pop the top!
I usually serve this soup either with some nice fresh crusty bread that I warmed up in the oven or with a crispy quick green salad. You could also just make the soup and serve it along side a baked chicken breast, or a juicy pork tenderloin.
Potato Leek Soup with Sausage
- Immersion Blender
- 1 lb Chicken Sausage cut in 1-inch pieces
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- ¼ cup Butter
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 3-4 Leeks cut in ½-inch slices
- 2 qt Chicken Broth
- 1 lb Yellow Potatoes peeled, cut in 1-in cubes
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Coarse Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Rosemary
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- Prepare all of the ingredients.
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, melt butter and add garlic and leeks. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring regularly. Add chicken broth, potatoes, and seasoning. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce heat to medium. Let cook for 20 minutes.
- In a saute pan over medium high heat, add oil. Saute sausage until just browned and warmed through.
- Remove soup from the heat. Using an immersion blender, blend the soup to a smooth consistency. Stir in heavy cream. Return to medium heat for 5 minutes.
- In a shallow soup bowl, ladle soup into center. Place cooked sausage in center of bowl and garnish with parsley, if desired
If you are looking for more recipes for meals in a bowl – check out my Soups, Salads & Bowls Section of my cookbook!