This one might require a little extra open mindedness – but it will be worth it. All the flavors of a cheeseburger and fries, loaded into a creamy flavorful soup. The amazing depth of flavor that comes from this fully loaded soup will knock your socks off. Creamy Cheeseburger Gnocchi Soup is a fun and inviting weeknight dinner soup.
The base for this soup is something akin to “special sauce”. By incorporating the flavors of pickles, ketchup and mustard into the creamy mixture gives you all those hints to really bring the idea of a bacon cheese burger home. In several of my recipes, I will list broth as an ingredients but list options for the variety. However, for this recipe you really need to use beef broth to bring the flavor of beef throughout the soup.
If you have not had potato gnocchi before, this is a great way to introduce it to your family. If you are familiar with gnocchi and have your own recipe for it, please use that in place of the suggest store bought version here. Store bought gnocchi is usually by the regular pasta in the store. In my experience, its usually on the top shelf or next to the more unique pasta varieties like jumbo shells. Also note that it’s important to not add the gnocchi to the soup too soon. If it sits for too long they are likely to become mushy.
This is a very hearty soup and can totally be a full meal on it’s own. If you wanted to add some bread on the side, I would suggest a toasted and buttered brioche to mesh with the whole burger concept. Presentation is also a big part of this soup. Putting some of the bacon and cheese in and some on top, really goes a long way for the enjoyment of this meal.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Creamy Cheeseburger Gnocchi Soup
- ½ lb Bacon cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 lb Ground Beef
- ½ Medium Yellow Onion minced
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 qt Beef Broth
- 1 28oz can Tomato Puree
- ½ cup Ketchup
- ¼ cup Yellow Mustard
- ¼ cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tbsp Dill Pickle Juice
- 3 cup Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- 24 oz Potato Gnocchi
- 2 Green Onions chopped
- In a large stock pot over medium high heat, add bacon. Cook until crispy and removed to a paper towel covered plate. Reserve 2 tablespoons of bacon grease in the pot.
- Add onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and ground beef. Cook and crumble until no longer pink. Reduce heat to medium and add beef broth, tomato puree, ketchup, mustard, pickle juice and Worcestershire sauce. Cover with lid and let cook for 20 minutes.
- Start water boiling for gnocchi. Cook as directed on the package and drain in a colander.
- Add heavy cream and two cups of cheese to soup and stir until melted in. Add gnocchi, and ¾ of cooked bacon.
- Serve with a garnish of remaining cheese, bacon and green onions.
Estelle Forrest’s self-published first cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook – was created after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Estelle self-published a second cookbook – Burgers on a Weeknight – recently. It has over 60 delicious burger creations! You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!