I always say rice pilaf is what you make when you can’t decide if you want rice or pasta because it’s technically both! Some make it with orzo but I like the pasta to be closer in size to the rice. So I use Fideo – which really is just thin spaghetti cut into half inch pieces (so don’t stress looking specifically for fideo, but know that Barilla does carry it). I use a long grain rice, but you can also do a wild rice. How ever you pull it together – you are going to love this Garlic Rice Pilaf.
My kids actually like this as a lunch option too. It is pretty easy to make in the middle of the day and we typically have all of the ingredients on hand. If you want to make a vegetarian version – you can use vegetable broth. I like the flavors of chicken broth so that’s what I usually use. Here comes the broken record – just don’t use only water! It is a huge opportunity to add a layer of flavor to your dish.
Versatile is a great way to describe this side dish. You can put it was any of the big proteins – chicken, beef, pork, fish, lamb….really anything. I served it with My Raspberry Chipotle Chicken and it was a match made in heaven. The sweet spice of the chicken was supported by the solid but subtle flavors of the rice pilaf.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Garlic Rice Pilaf
- ¼ cup Butter
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 tbsp Dried Minced Onion
- 1 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 2 cups Fideo or thin spaghetti cut into ½-inch pieces
- 2 cups Long Grain Rice
- 6 cups Broth chicken or vegetable
- 1 tsp Parsley
- In a large sauté pan over medium-high heat, add butter. Once melted add garlic and onion, let sauté for 2 minutes. Then add rice and fideo and stir to toast until slightly brown.
- Add broth and parsley. Let come just to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cover pan. Let cook for 15 minutes. Then remove from heat without removing lid, until ready to serve.
Estelle Forrest’s self-published first cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook – was created after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Estelle self-published a second cookbook – Burgers on a Weeknight – recently. It has over 60 delicious burger creations! You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!