You all know tacos are a favorite dish of mine. I make them almost every week. I also love using my slow cooker to make flavor packed meats for my meals. And this recipe is no different. Mojo Pork Tacos are a slow cookers dream meal. The combination of the citrus and smoky flavors are so powerful, you are going to love it. And the sweet heat of the fresh jalapenos and crumbly cojita cheese bring it all together for a delightful taco night!
For the slow cooking marinade, I used orange juice with some pulp as well as fresh squeezed lime juice. You can use what ever you have on hand. The Worcestershire sauce brings in the smokiness of the marinade along with the cumin and chili powder. If you cannot find cojita cheese, you can also use queso fresco. If you still have no luck, (first look in the refrigerator section near the fresh salsas) you can also use a colby jack in it’s place.
If you are still unsure about the merits of slow cookers – this meal is going to chance your mind. The real prize when it comes to using a slow cooker is the depth of flavor you get from so little effort. Because it cooks at a low temperature for hours, you don’t have to worry about burning or scorching. I will tell that since I work from home, I do give my slow cooker a little jiggle a few times a day, when I walk past it on the kitchen counter. Just to help the flavors keep mingling and flowing.
Each serving should have two or three tacos. I served up some simple beans on the side. I add 3 cans of whole pinto beans, 1 7oz can green chilies and a tablespoon of cumin to a sauce pan over medium low heat. Let simmer about 30 minutes and then serve with a sprinkle of cojita cheese.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Mojo Pork Tacos
- 1 Slow Cooker at least 6 qts
- 18 Flour Tortillas fajita sized
- ½ White Onion diced
- 1 cup Cojita Cheese crumbled
- 2 Jalapenos sliced
- ½ bunch Cilantro chopped
For the Pork
- 3 lb Pork Roast bonelss, cut into 5 pieces
- 1 cup Orange Juice
- ¼ cup Lime Juice
- ¼ cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 2 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Dried Minced Onion
- 2 tsp Cumin
- 3 tsp Chili Powder
- Place pork piece in slow cooker. Combine remaining ingredients for pork and then pour over top of pork. Secure lid and cook for 8 hours.
- In the last 30 minutes of slow cooking, use a fork to shred pork and stir together with juices. Re-secure lid and let cook for remainder of cook time.
- To build the tacos, add portion of shredded pork, sprinkle with cilantro, onion, and cojita and top with a few jalapeno coins.
Estelle Forrest’s self-published first cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook – was created after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Estelle self-published a second cookbook – Burgers on a Weeknight – recently. It has over 60 delicious burger creations! You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!