Our middle son recently turned 15 and on our birthdays we each pick the meal. He has always had a rather decadent and expensive palate – he absolutely loves food! This year he picked lobster mac & cheese along with Crab Stuffed Mushrooms. So that’s what I delivered. He specifically said he wanted to really taste the crab over the other ingredients. Not like lots of restaurants that go heavy on the cheese and crumbs. So I am not joking when I say the stuffing is about fifty percent crab meat.
I opted for lump crab meat because my grocer only had frozen crab legs on hand and I was shopping for it on his birthday. You could certainly use leg meat in it’s place. I also selected whipped cream cheese instead of the brick. This makes it easier to mix together without beating up the crab meat too much. I picked panko crumbs over breadcrumbs because they are lighter so you don’t get that gummy texture that is just not pleasant.
Try to pick mushrooms that are about 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter. You want to be able to have a good mushroom to crab stuffing ratio. I like to put a nice big top on mine so the whole thing stands up tall. I made these as a sort of side dish for the lobster mac & cheese but I plan to add them to my next appetizer night! That’s when I basically make an appetizer sampler for each of us. It’s a fun change of pace on dinner ideas.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- 16 Baby Bella Mushrooms stems and gills removed
- 8 oz Crab Meat lump
- 4 oz Whipped Cream Cheese
- 1 cup Parmesan Cheese grated, divided
- ½ cup Fresh Chives chopped
- 1 cup Panko Crumbs divided
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- ¼ cup Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 350degF.
- Place mushroom, with the opening facing up, in a single layer in a 13×9 baking dish.
- Add ¾ cup parmesan cheese, ¾ cup of panko crumbs, and remaining ingredients to a mixing bowl. Stir to thoroughly combine. Fill each mushroom cap with the crab mixture (should be over stuffed a bit). Sprinkle with remaining parmesan cheese and panko crumbs. Bake for 20 minutes.
Estelle Forrest’s self-published first cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook – was created after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Estelle self-published a second cookbook – Burgers on a Weeknight – recently. It has over 60 delicious burger creations! You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!