My family absolutely loves seafood – especially shrimp. And while it’s a little more spendy – I try to work it into the meal planning at least every other week. The trick is make the rest of the meal very affordable – so the splurge on the shrimp isn’t so bad. Red Shrimp & Pasta is a great way to introduce your family to seafood if they have been turning their nose up at it thus far. It’s really close to a spaghetti so they are likely to at least try it!
While the red pepper flakes do give the sauce a bit of kick – you aren’t likely to be overwhelmed by it. If you need to adjust the amount to control the heat – go ahead. But if you want to omit it all together at least put in a little paprika – it helps cut the acid of the tomato so that you don’t lose the delicate shrimp in the mix.
I served this up with some garlic bread (melt a stick of butter, mix in some garlic powder and parsley. Brush on to bread and bake at 450 for 10 minutes). This would go nicely with a nice Caesar salad too.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Red Shrimp & Pasta
- 1½ lb Long Pasta linguini, spaghetti, fettuccini
- 2 lb Jumbo Shrimp peeled & deveined
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 2 Garlic Cloves minced
- ½ Yellow Onion diced
- 1 28oz can Crushed Tomatoes
- 2 15oz can Tomato Puree
- 1 tbsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp Parsley plus more for garnish
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Start water boiling for pasta.
- In a large saute pan over medium high heat, add oil, onion and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes then add shrimp and cook until just done (5-7 minutes). Remove from pan and set aside (keep warm).
- Add pasta to boiling water. Cook as directed on package. Drain in colander and rinse with cool water to arrest cooking process.
- Reduce heat in saute pan to medium and add crushed tomatoes, tomato puree and seasonings. Let simmer for same amount of time that pasta needs to cook. Return shrimp to pan and let simmer for 5 minutes more.
- Put a portion of pasta in a shallow bowl and ladle shrimp and red sauce over top. Serve right away. Garnish with extra parsley if desired.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
AVAILABLE IN PRINT OR KINDLE eBOOK VERSIONS
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!
One thought on “Red Shrimp & Pasta”
A little late, but – Thanks for sharing at last week’s What’s for Dinner party! Hope to see you this week too! Enjoy your day.