I love to create burgers that combine different variations of food on to a bun. And these Taco Sliders are no exception to that creative process. If you have ever had Taco Pizza – you will probably love Taco Sliders.
The key to this recipe is the building of the sliders. It’s a process that is simple but needs to be identified with photos I think. So while making the sliders – which were a huge huge hit in my home – I took a lot of photos to try to explain how to make them. So here goes:
Step 1: Start with pull apart dinner rolls – but don’t pull them apart!
Step 2: Slice the rolls in half to make a top and bottom bun.
Step 3: Spread bottom bun layer with refried beans
Step 4: Top the beans with the large rectangle cooked patties
Step 5: Cover with shredded cheese
Step 6: Put in oven for 15 minutes
Step 7: Drizzle with Taco Sauce
Step 8: Sprinkle with shredded lettuce
Step 9: Top with diced tomatoes
Step 10: Spread sour cream on bun tops and sprinkle with scallions
Use a toothpick to secure the top bun to the slider before you cut them apart to make 24 individual sliders.
I hope the images help explain the process for this dish. I served it up with an Avocado Ranch salad. I thought that 24 might be too many to make at once but my boys proved me very wrong! This was a super fun twist to Taco Tuesday at my house and I hope you will give it a try!
If you are interested in other burger creations check out my Burger Recipes!
Now let’s get cookin’!
- 24 Dinner Rolls pull-apart style
- 2 lb Ground Beef
- 2 Eggs
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 15 oz can Refried Beans
- 4 cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 8 oz Sour Cream
- 1 cup Lettuce shredded
- 3 Roma Tomatoes diced
- 2 Scallions chopped
- ½ cup Taco Sauce
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Preheat oven to 425deg. Preheat Grill Pan to medium-high.
- In a bowl combine, ground beef, eggs, garlic, salt, cumin, and chili powder. Press into 4 large rectangles (each the size of half of one set of dinner rolls – roughly 4 inches by 6 inches). Place them on the grill pan and cook for 5 minutes on each side.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, add refried bean and 2 cups of shredded cheese. Stir to combine and cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Slice each of the 12 piece dinner rolls in half (so that you have a layer of bottom buns and a layer of top buns). Place the bottom bun layer on a baking sheet. Spread with refried beans. Then place 2 cooked slider rectangles. Top with 1 cup of cheese. Repeat with second set of dinner rolls. Place in oven for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and brush each set with Taco Sauce. Then top with shredded lettuce, and tomatoes. Spread sour cream over top bun layer of rolls, sprinkle with scallions and place on top. Place a toothpick in each slider to help hold it together. Using a large knife, cut out each individual slider from the set – you should have 24 total sliders. Serve 3-4 sliders per person.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here: