Burgers are an American Standard. Most people think of burgers as either plain – bun, beef patty, lettuce, tomato, onion, ketchup, and mustard. And then there is the Cheeseburger – which is the same as the regular burger just add a slice of cheese. But burgers can be so much more exciting. To start – they don’t have to be made from beef! Keep reading for more burger ideas.
Selecting the right bun for the burger is important. Different buns make a huge impact on the overall flavor. For example Potato Buns are really great for burgers with BBQ or shredded pork on them. Onion Buns are yummy with burgers with a lot of fresh veggies on them. But in our house the bun that wins the most points is a Brioche bun! While we are talking about buns – here is a huge tip for burger success – always TOAST the bun! Even if you just put it under the broiler with nothing on it, it will be better. They stay together, don’t get soggy from the burger. But you can also add a layer of flavor by adding garlic butter or other seasoning before you toast.
Another thing you can do to make any burger better – let it rest once its created. If you let the patty and the toppings sit for a few minutes before trying to bite into it you are less likely to have the burger slide out the other side or drip down your chin.
So here they are – 10 Creative and Different Burger Ideas to try!
- Fried Egg Burger – Start with a pretzel bun, toasted. Then using a beef or turkey burger, put on a slice of sharp cheddar cheese. Fry an egg over medium and place on top of the cheese and drizzle with a thin BBQ sauce. When you bite into this burger and the yolk falls all over you will be in burger heaven!
2. Creamy Garlic Burger – Put Garlic Butter on a Brioche bun and toast it. Combine ground turkey, minced garlic, basil, salt and pepper to make the patties. Make a creamy garlic sauce (Alfredo Sauce essentially) and pour over top of burger, then add some baby spinach. It’s a little messy to eat but work it – I promise.
3. Greek Lamb Burger – Use a Ciabatta bun, toasted. Use a ground lamb burger (purchased or handmade) and top with fresh tzatziki sauce (you can get a recipe for this from the Homemade on a Weeknight Cookbook). Top with Romaine, Feta Cheese Crumbles and Red onion. And you’ll be yelling “oompa” by the end of this meal!
4. Balsamic Dill Chicken Burger – Toast a Brioche Bun with a little butter on it. Combine ground chicken, dill, paprika, garlic, an egg, salt and pepper to make patties. Combing sour cream and balsamic vinegar to make the sauce. And add some green leaf lettuce. The sauce packs such a flavor punch! (recipe from the Homemade on a Weeknight Cookbook)
5. Bleu Cheese Burger – Toast a Brioche bun with garlic butter. Combine ground beef, bleu cheese crumbles, an egg, minced garlic, paprika, salt and pepper to make the patties. Top with lettuce, tomato, red onion, mayo and a fried onion ring. This one is a real mouthful!
6. Caesar Burger (full recipe here!)- Use a toasted Brioche Bun. Combine ground beef, black pepper, Parmesan cheese, an egg, minced garlic, and salt. Toss a Caesar Salad (romaine, Parmesan cheese, Caesar dressing and black pepper) and top the burger with it. Everyone will be saying Hail Caesar after eating this one! And this burger was featured on JENerrally Informed weekly as a Host favorite!
7. Alfalfa Bagel Burger – Start with a toasted Brioche bun. Combine ground beef and Everything Seasoning. Top burger with cucumber slices (seasoned with salt and pepper), alfalfa sprouts and a smear of cream cheese on the bun. So much flavor packed into every bite.
8. Teriyaki Burger – Use an Onion Bun. Combine ground beef, black pepper, garlic, ginger, cocoa amino and salt. At the end of grilling brush on teriyaki sauce over burger and let glaze for a bit. Then top with a grilled slice of pineapple, grilled onion and some more teriyaki sauce. This burger is a seriously delicious mouthful!
9. Bacon Jalapeno Popper Burger – A nice toasted Brioche bun for this burger. Combine ground beef with an egg, diced jalapenos, and Everything Seasoning. Top with a slice of sharp cheddar at the end of grilling. Put a smear of cream cheese on the top and bottom of the bun, then pile high with cheeseburger, 3 pieces of bacon, beer battered jalapeno coins (you can use the same beer batter as my Onion Rings recipe!) and some fresh red onions. The bigger is going to pop in a big way!
10. Turkey Quesadilla Burger (full recipe here) – No bun for this one – instead a yummy Cheese Quesadilla! Combine ground turkey, green chilies, cumin, salt and pepper. Top the burger with a little sour cream, lettuce tomato and onion. You are going to be the absolute winner of dinnertime with this burger!
7 thoughts on “10 Burger Ideas”
That balsamic dill burger sounds heavenly! These all make me so hungry. My family will love these!
I am always up for a good burger. I love the sound of them all, but anything with the words “creamy garlic” gets my attention straight away!!
I love this post, there’s only one problem. I can’t choose. I’ve got a bunch of them I truly want to make, but which one is going to be first? I think I’m going to try them all this summer for I sure can’t choose.
Soooooo may amazing choices! Love the teriyaki burger idea. Just like those Mos Burgers in Japan which we always have when we’re there. Blue Cheese is a great idea and not sure why I haven’t tried that! Just gave me a great idea for dinner! Thanks!
My hubby and I love to try new burger recipes! This is a great compilation of recipes for us to try!
I love teriyaki burger! Fantastic post with so much variety