Slow cooked beef is perfect to fill up a tortilla and make it into a whole meal. This recipe for a delicious slow cooked chuck roast with flavors of cumin and chipotle are going to knock your socks off. Shredded Beef Burritos are so dang good, they are going to be a regular on your slow cooker meals rotation.
This easy and simple recipe is perfect for Homemade on a Weeknight meals. You are going to be so happy you started this going first thing in the morning when you come home to the amazing aromas filling your kitchen. You are going to need a large sized crock pot for this – at least 7 quarts. The reason for this is that you do not want to cut the chuck roast up at all, you want to put it in whole.
To get the authentic Burrito Truck vibe from these tasty burritos – I strongly suggest you immediately wrap them in foil after building them. This is not just for the aesthetic of things – it actually serves a purpose. When you tightly wrap them up in foil, you allow the hot meat and beans to melt the cheese and create a delightful gooey bite! For the full effect let them sit for about 5 minutes before opening them up to eat. It may seem like a silly step to take, but you will be happy you did.
As you can probably guess, these burritos are rather large – my daughter and I actually split one. So you probably won’t need whole big side dish with it. You could probably get away with just having some nice tortilla chips and maybe some salsa, guac or queso on the side.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Shredded Beef Burritos
- 6-8 Extra Large Burrito Tortillas
- 2 cup Sour Cream
- 1 cup Iceberg Lettuce shredded
- 2 cup Cheddar Cheese finely shredded
- 1 28oz can Whole Pinto Beans drained
- 1 15oz can Petite Cut Tomatoes
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
For the Shredded Beef
- 3 lb Chuck Roast
- 1 28oz can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 12oz can Chipotle Peppers in adobo minced
- ½ cup Orange Juice
- ¼ cup Lime Juice
- 2 cup Beef Broth
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tbsp Cumin
- 1 tbsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tbsp Dried Minced Onion
- Add chuck roast to slow cooker. Combine remaining shredded beef ingredients in a bowl and pour evenly over top of roast. Secure lid and cook on low for 10 hours (high for 5hours).
- In the last 30 minutes of cook time, remove lid. Remove bones (if present), then use tongs to pull and shred the meat. Mix back into the sauce and re-secure lid for remainder of cook time.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, add pinto beans, tomatoes, cumin and chili powder. Stir to combine and let simmer until beef is ready.
- Lay tortilla out on flat surface. Add a portion of beans, topped with shredded beef. Next add cheese, lettuce and then sour cream. Fold in the sides of the tortilla first. Then roll up from the bottom to the top.
I love to link up my posts to lots of blogs around the internet – check out this Ultimate Handy Linky Party List to find some of the places I share to!
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!