Burgers are a staple in our home – typically we have at least one every week. It is just so much fun to see what combination of ingredients I can come up with week after week. And the whole family loves a burger – so I have plenty of willing taste-testers. Recently I decided to go all in on a blue cheese burger and make these so super yum Bacon & Blue Cheese Burgers – because what burger doesn’t benefit from added bacon.
When it comes to bacon, I like to use thick-cut only – it really makes a different. I want my bacon to be a substantial part of the burger and not just added fat to the mix. I find that locally sourced bacon is a great option to get good thick cut – some call it farm-cut bacon. While it does tend to cost a bit more, it also tastes way better. Bacon shouldn’t be obligatory for a burger, it should be very present member of the party!
Caramelized onions are a delicious component of this burger. When you let the onions reduce and caramelize down in the butter, you get a slightly sweet onion to add to your burger. You are going to want to remember how to make these onions for other meals for sure. They are so good on lots of burgers, sandwiches, on steaks or chicken.
Blue cheese is a very distinct flavor. And it does seem to have a real love or hate reputation. I absolutely love the flavor of it. For this burger, I used crumbles in the patties as well as a blue cheese dressing on top. Your dressing can be chunky or not (totally to your preference), but I prefer it to be a bit more chunky, so that’s what I have in my refrigerator. Using the potato buns, lends a more mild background so the bacon and blue cheese can stand out.
As with any burger, a fried potato side is always a good pairing. We like to have seasoned shoestrings for the most part. But with all the wonderful options out there you can do what you like. Waffle, steak-cut, curly, seasoned or not, you can find your family’s favorite to add with this tasty burger creation.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Bacon & Blue Cheese Burgers
- ½ cup Butter
- 2 Medium Yellow Onions
- 2 lb Ground Beef
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 2 tsp Dill
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 8 oz Blue Cheese crumbles
- ½ lb Bacon cut in half
- 6 pieces Green Leaf Lettuce
- ½ cup Blue Cheese Dressing
- 6 Potato Burger Buns
- In a large frying pan over medium heat, add butter. Once melted add onion. Stir to coat and reduce heat to medium low. Continue to simmer and stir while making the rest of the burger.
- In a bowl, combine ground beef, salt, pepper, dill, paprika and blue cheese crumbles. Once thoroughly combined, form into 12 1½-inch balls.
- In a separate large saute pan, add bacon. Cook until crispy and remove to a paper towel covered plate.
- In the same pan, cook the patties in stages. Place each ball in pan and use a flat spatula to flatten as much as you are able to (roughly ¼-inch thick). Remove from pan, and continue with remaining patties.
- Build the burger, starting with bottom bun then a piece of lettuce. Place two patties on lettuce, top with 2-3 pieces of bacon and a portion of caramelized onions. Next drizzle blue cheese dressing over and then add top bun.
Estelle Forrest’s self-published first cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook – was created after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Estelle self-published a second cookbook – Burgers on a Weeknight – recently. It has over 60 delicious burger creations! You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!