I love taking classic flavor combinations and turning them into something else. Like taking the flavors of an Italian Sub Sandwich and turning them into two bite appetizers. These Italian Sub Pinwheels are perfect for an appetizer night, pot luck or backyard BBQ! They are easy to eat with your fingers and are usually just two bites, maybe three.
For this recipe, I used burrito sized flour tortillas. The great thing about this recipe is that you can change it up with flavored tortillas – like sun-dried tomatoes or spinach. Or you can swap out for a gluten free, carb balance and/or corn tortillas. I personally like to use the Olive Garden brand of Italian Dressing for this. It has a great flavor and can be found in most grocery stores. But you can certainly use what ever brand you have on hand or prefer.
If you have been on the blog before you know I like to do an appetizer night every few weeks. This is when I make 7 or 8 different appetizers and everyone gets an appetizer sampler platter for dinner! I do a few cold preparations like these pinwheels and then a few hot preparations like my Buffalo Chicken Cups. It is a fun break for the typical dinner routine.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Italian Sub Pinwheels
- 3 Tortillas, burrito sized
- 8 oz Whipped Cream Cheese
- ½ cup Italian Dressing
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese grated
- 24 slices Genoa Salami
- 36 slices Pepperoni
- 1 cup Fresh Spinach
- ½ cup Pepperoncini sliced
- Spread cream cheese on one side of a tortilla, all the way to the edges. Brush on dressing. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese. Cover one half with a single layer of salami and the other half with a single layer of pepperoni.
- Add a layer of spinach of the entire tortilla and then sprinkle with pepperoncinis. Tightly roll up tortillas, doing your best to keep everything inside. Repeat process with remaining tortillas. Put in refrigerator to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- When ready to serve, slice each tortilla roll into 8 equal piece, just less than an inch wide. You may need to tighten the roll for some of the outer pieces.
Estelle Forrest’s self-published first cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook – was created after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Estelle self-published a second cookbook – Burgers on a Weeknight – recently. It has over 60 delicious burger creations! You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!