Meatballs are another big favorite in our house. You can add so many different things to make them fit into different cuisines. Hawaiian Meatballs & Rice are so easy to make but they are literally bursting with flavor. What I love the most about this dish is that the heat of the Sriracha cooks down to a delicious flavor of jalapeno that mingles with the pineapple so well.
When you are prepping the veggies for this recipe, try to get the onions and bell peppers to roughly the same size as the pineapple you are using. This makes sure that the cooking times work out – too small and they will get mushy, too big and they won’t cook at all. The red bell peppers are perfect for this dish because they have that little bit of sweet to go with the pineapple.
This recipe would also make a great lunch meal prepping dish because it reheats really well. With everyone heading back to school, this would be a wonderful dish to send with the kiddos for school. I am also considering using the same meat mixture to do a burger one night – it’s that good!
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Hawaiian Meatballs & Rice
- 1 20oz can Pineapple Chunks in 100% pineapple juice
- ½ Red Onion cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 Red Bell Pepper cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 Scallions chopped
- 2 cups Long Grain Rice
- 1½ qt Beef Broth divided
- 1 tbsp Sesame Seeds
- 2 tbsp Corn Starch
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 lb Ground Pork
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- ¼ cup Sriracha
- ¼ cup Honey
- 1 tsp Ground Ginger
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp Dried Minced Onion
- Prepare all of the ingredients.
- In a bowl, combine meatball ingredients and form into 24 meatballs.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, add rice and 1 quart of beef broth. Cover and cook for 17 minutes. Do not remove lid, just remove from heat until ready to serve.
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add oil. Once heated, add meatballs and cover pan. Cook for 15 minutes, turning once during cooking process. Remove meatballs from pan and keep warm. DO NOT CLEAN PAN.
- Add remaining beef broth to pan and bring just to a boil. Reduce heat to medium. Remove ¼ cup of broth to a cup and combine with corn starch (thoroughly mix), then pour back into to pan and stir. Cook for 2 minutes then add onion and bell pepper. Cook for 3 minutes then add pineapple (with juice) and cook another 3 minutes. Return meatballs to pan and stir to coat.
- Add portion of of rice to a shallow bowl. Add a portion of meatballs, veggies and pan gravy. Sprinkle with scallions and sesame seeds. Drizzle with additional Sriracha if desired.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
AVAILABLE IN PRINT OR KINDLE eBOOK VERSIONS
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!
2 thoughts on “Hawaiian Meatballs & Rice”
Looks so delicious. Meatballs are so tasty and adding the Hawaiian touch is amazing. I am happy to feature your Hawaiian Meatballs at love Your Creativity.
This looks like a great recipe. I make something similar but with smoked sausage. I am going to have to try out your version very soon. Thanks for sharing the recipe. #HomeMattersParty