Some flavor profiles are just undeniably good. They are considered classics because they just work over and over again. French Onion Soup is one of those classic flavor profiles that has stood the test of time. And it has been re-invented in many ways to make different dishes – like this French Onion Meatball Sub!
You might look at the ingredients list and bristle at pork rinds – but hear me out! Pork rinds are an amazing substitute for bread crumbs. They add to the meaty flavors of the meat, they bind it together just as well – AND they keep it keto! Since I was using half pork and half beef – it really just added to the great flavor of these meatballs. You might also notice that I put cheese IN the meatballs and ON the meatballs. That is to give the feel of that delicious cheesy layer of goodness you find on a tradition French Onion Soup.
This is a perfect dish to make when some people in your family are Keto and some are not. The keto peeps can eat the meatballs on their own and the non-keto peeps can pile them high a toasted crusty sub roll! That’s win-win.
You absolutely must toast your sub rolls for this sandwich. The meatball and onion filling is “wet” so it will soak into untoasted bread quickly and leave you with a mushy mess. The simple act of toasting the buns, makes for a much more pleasant dining experience.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
French Onion Meatball Sub
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 lb Ground Pork
- 1 Egg
- 2 cup Mozzarella Cheese divided
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 1 cup Pork Rinds crushed
- 4 Yellow Onions Sliced
- 1 cup Beef Broth
- 1 stick Butter
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 8 Sub Rolls
- 3 tbsp Avocado Oil
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Preheat oven to 400deg.
- In a bowl, combine beef, pork, egg, pork rinds, 1 cup mozzarella, and parsley. For into 1-inch balls and line out on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Place in oven for 15 minutes.
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, add butter. Once melted add garlic and onions. Cook for 5 minutes then add broth salt and pepper. Let cook until meatballs are done.
- Brush inside of sub rolls with avocado oil and line up on a baking sheet. Once meatballs are out of oven – increase oven temp to 450deg. Put bread in to toast for 5-7 minutes.
- Add meatballs to onion mixture, sprinkle with remaining cheese and cover with lid. Let cook while bread is toasting.
- Add 4-5 meatballs on each sub, picking up onions as you get each one. Cut in half on the diagonal to serve.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!