Burgers are a weekly thing in my house. And since I rarely make anything the same twice – I am constantly thinking up new, creative burgers. I really wanted to figure out how to make my own French Fried Onions. So after playing with it a little, I got it figured out and then had to come up with how to use them. And of course I came to the conclusion that they were need on a juice bacon cheeseburger! You are going to love this Fried Onion Cheeseburger!
The fried onions are so simple but so yummy! You get a great crunch on the burger. I use avocado oil but you can use whatever oil you are comfortable frying in. Just make sure you know the smoke point of your oil so you don’t get it too hot. The onions are the start of the Fried Onion Cheeseburger so you want to make sure to get them right! I cut the onion in half and then thin sliced them. You aren’t making onion rings but more like onion straws.
I mixed up a BBQ Mayo to go on these burgers (making them a sort of western bacon cheeseburger). You could also use my “special sauce” from my Bacon Cheeseburger Bowl Recipe. You could do traditional ketchup and mustard too. Mayo would be good too.
You could use a different type of cheese – if you don’t like the tangy flavor of Sharp White Cheddar. But let me tell you, it is an amazing flavor profile with the sauce and french fried onions.
Fried Onion Cheeseburger
- 6-8 Brioche Buns
- 4 tbsp Butter
- 1 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 tsp Parsley
- ½ lb Bacon cut in half
- 6-8 slices Sharp White Cheddar
For the Burger
- 2 lb Ground Beef
- 1 Egg beaten
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp Parsley
For the Onions
- 1 Yellow Onions halved and thinly sliced
- 1 cup Corn Starch
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Paprika
- Cooking Oil enough for 1-2 inches deep in pan
For the Sauce
- ½ cup BBQ Sauce I used Sweet Baby Rays
- ½ cup Mayo I used Avocado Mayo
- ¼ cup Sriracha
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Preheat oven to 450deg. Preheat Grill or Grill Pan to medium high. Preheat oil to medium high.
- Combine ingredients for sauce in a bowl and place in refrigerator until ready to make burgers.
- In a frying pan over medium high heat, add strips of bacon. Cook until crispy and remove to paper towel covered plate.
- In a bowl, combine burger ingredients. Form into 8 patties, about 4 inches in diameter. When grill or grill pan is heated, cook on each side for 7-8 minutes. Remove from grill and place slice of cheese on top.
- Melt butter and add garlic powder and parsley. Place buns on baking sheet face up and brush with butter mixture. Place in oven for 12 minutes to toast.
- While burger are cooking, combine corn starch, salt, and paprika. Then add onions and toss to coat. Once oil is hot, add onions in small batches. Fry until golden brown (1-3 minutes) and remove to a metal rack positioned over paper towels.
- Build the Burger: Toasted bottom bun spread with sauce, cheese burger, 2-3 pieces bacon, fried onions, and toasted Top Bun spread with sauce.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here: