Everything is infinitely better when served on a slider – especially these Sloppy Joe Sliders! You get all those classic comfort flavors of a sloppy joe, with the addition of some cheese and slapped on a slider roll. Your are going to get requests to make this super easy – done in 30 minutes – dinner over and over again. These sliders are a perfect weeknight meal or a great idea for #SliderSundays!
I like to use both ground pork and ground beef for these. It gives a nice flavor with the little bit of extra fat. I also like to add the sweetness of maple syrup and the smokiness of Bourbon to give it a depth of flavor. I especially use my Maple Bourbon Recipe for the sauce of this. If you don’t have or don’t like bourbon, you could omit it, or replace it with some whiskey or beef broth. You just need to get that liquid in there for the sauce. You can also use honey instead of maple syrup, again if you don’t have any or don’t like the flavor.
Traditionally, Sloppy Joes don’t have cheese, but you know I like to put cheese on basically everything I can. It actually is functional as well as flavorful. The cheese helps to hold the loose meat on the roll a little better, like any good food glue would. I used some simple dinner rolls for this – the kind that are all connected and come in the paper “pan” ready for warming up in the oven. You could also use the ever popular Hawaiian Rolls for this recipes too.
The side possibilities are endless too – you could go fries or tots, you could go potato or pasta salad, you could have some steamed veggies and side salad. Really anything could go with these sliders.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Sloppy Joe Sliders
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 lb Ground Pork
- ½ Small Yellow Onion minced
- 4 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 15oz can Tomato Puree
- ¼ cup Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- ¼ cup Maple Syrup
- ¼ cup Bourbon I use Jim Beam
- 6 slices Cheddar Cheese
- 12 Dinner Rolls
- 1 tbsp Everything Seasoning
- Cooking Spray
- Preheat oven to 350degF.
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, add ground beef, ground pork, onion and garlic. Cook and crumble until no longer pink. Reduce heat to medium.
- Add tomato puree, Worcestershire sauce, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, maple syrup and bourbon. Stir to combine and cook another 5 minutes.
- Split dinner rolls to make a top and bottom. Place the bottom layer on a parchment paper covered baking sheet. Spoon meat mixture evenly over top of roll bottoms. Cover with cheese slices.
- Place roll tops over cheese. Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with everything seasoning. Place in oven and back for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let sit for at least 5 minutes before cutting to separate individual sliders. Serve 2-3 per person.
Estelle Forrest’s self-published first cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook – was created after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Estelle self-published a second cookbook – Burgers on a Weeknight – recently. It has over 60 delicious burger creations! You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!