Honey Mustard and Chicken are one of my very favorite flavor combinations – they just mesh so well. The sweet zesty flavor of honey mustard and the tried and true chicken is just so good. In an effort to enjoy this in a full meal, I came up with this Honey Mustard Meatloaf – which is made with ground chicken, homemade honey mustard and wrapped in BACON!
Wrapping it in bacon is not just because I look for any reason to add bacon to a dish. It is also because you need a little fat in the dish, since ground chicken has very little fat in it. It you wanted to reduce the amount of bacon, you could just put a layer across the top of the loaf, but don’t omit it entirely or your meatloaf will dry out. I have planned around with it quite a bit and determined that the best homemade honey mustard is to use both yellow and Dijon mustard in it! You get that extra tang of the Dijon that you expect from a honey mustard. You could also easily convert this sauce to a salad dressing by adding in some olive or avocado oil to thin it out.
Since most people serve mashed potatoes with meatloaf, I decided to stick with the idea and made my whipped cauliflower to compliment this dish. It’s really simple to make, I just boil cauliflower florets until fork tender. Then add butter, heavy cream, salt, white pepper and garlic powder. I like to use the white pepper so that you don’t get the black flakes in your creamy white cauliflower – it’s purely aesthetic and you can totally use regular pepper.
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Honey Mustard Meatloaf
- 2 lb Ground Chicken
- 1 lb Bacon
- 2 Eggs beaten
- 1 cup French Fried Onions crushed
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
For the Honey Mustard
- ½ cup Dijon Mustard
- ½ cup Yellow Mustard
- ½ cup Honey
- ¼ cup Mayo
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Preheat oven to 400deg.
- In a small bowl, combine sauce ingredients. Cover and place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper. Layer bottom and sides with strips of bacon so that you can wrap them all the way around the meatloaf.
- In a bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Press chicken mixture into loaf pan. Brush top of chicken with honey mustard sauce then wrap with bacon. Brush bacon with honey mustard sauce. Place in oven and bake for 45 minutes. Let sit for at least 5 minutes before removing from pan to serve.
- If you wish to use honey mustard sauce for dipping, add remaining sauce to small saucepan over medium heat. Bring just to a bubble then reduce heat to low and let simmer until meatloaf is done.
Estelle Forrest’s self-published first cookbook – Homemade on a Weeknight: A Family Cookbook – was created after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Estelle self-published a second cookbook – Burgers on a Weeknight – recently. It has over 60 delicious burger creations! You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!