“You nailed it!” – “10 out of 10, would recommend” – “This is bomb” These are all the things that you want to hear when you try something a little outside the recipe box. Chili Cheese Scrambled Eggs was a little bit of a crazy idea that turned out to be deliciousness. Totally packed with tons of protein – ground beef, kidney beans, and eggs. This a very filling dinner – hearty is the best word to describe it.
This quick chili would also be great for chili dogs, sloppy joes, nachos, or even mixed with some cheese sauce to make a chip dip. You can get a lot of flavor by not adding any water at all and going all in with the seasonings. You could switch out the ground beef for ground turkey if you wanted to – but with the very small amount of carbs in this -I’m not sure you really need to.
I served this up with some corn bread muffins. I used a mix – gasp! – because I, seriously, am not a baker. I did add a teaspoon of chili powder to the mix to give it a little oomph. And then I softened a stick of butter (just put it in a bowl on the stovetop while the oven preheated) and mixed in a tablespoon of honey. Made for a sweet and spicy little treat to compliment the Chili Cheese Scrambled Eggs.
You have to trust the process on this dish. Yes, you really do just pour the beaten eggs over the top of the chili and put a lid on and walk away. You are going to come back to basically a soufflé style egg – which is such a fluffy yummy delight you are going to flip!
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Chili Cheese Scrambled Eggs
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 1 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 Sweet Onion diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 15oz can Kidney Beans drained
- 1 7oz can Green Chilies
- 1 15oz can Diced Tomatoes
- 1 15oz can Tomato Puree
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 14 Eggs beaten
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Prepare all the ingredients.
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, add oil, onions, and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes and add ground beef, green chilies, tomato puree, beans, diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin and red pepper flakes. Cook until no longer pink.
- In a bowl, beat eggs, salt, pepper, and parsley. Reduce heat in sauté pan to medium, and pour in egg mixture. Cover with lid and let cook for 15 minutes. Remove lid and sprinkle with cheese. Replace lid and cook for 5 minutes. more.
- Remove from heat. With a large spoon, gently turn the eggs and meat mixture until well combined.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!