Baked Beans are such a great side dish. They go with burgers, any type of grilled meat, chicken, steak, ribs, pulled pork, smoked turkey, tri-tip, cue Bubba (because I could go on and on) – lol. They are also great for just about any type of potluck event. This recipe for Bourbon Baked Beans also comes with an incredible sauce that can double as a perfect BBQ sauce.
Essentially, if you omit the beans and bacon and then sub in 2 tablespoons of avocado oil, you can make a delicious BBQ Sauce. Though if you have any bacon grease it would do you better! All baked beans really are is beans covered in BBQ sauce – with a little bacon thrown in – baked at a low heat for a long time or a moderate heat for half an hour or so.
Beans are a great alternative to potato based sides – they have a higher protein content and a lower carb number. It also adds a great amount of fiber (when compared to potatoes). So if you are looking of sometime different to try on the side of your main attraction – you will want to try these baked beans for sure!
Now Let’s Get Cookin’!
Bourbon Baked Beans
- 3 15oz can Great Northern Beans drained
- 2 6oz can Tomato Paste
- ½ cup Chicken Broth
- ½ lb Bacon cut in ½-inch pieces
- ½ Sweet Onion diced
- 3 Garlic minced
- ¼ cup Bourbon
- ¼ cup Honey
- ¼ cup Worcestershire Sauce
- ¾ cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 1 tsp Salt
- Prepare all of the ingredients. Preheat oven to 400deg.
- In a deep frying pan over medium-high heat, add bacon. Cook until crispy and remove to a paper towel covered plate.
- In the same pan (DO NOT drain grease), reduce meat to medium and add onions and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes then add all remaining ingredient EXCEPT beans. Stir together and let cook for 2 minutes then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- In a 13×9 baking dish, pour beans bacon into bottom. Pour sauce over top and stir together. Place in oven for 30 minutes.
Estelle Forrest self-published this cookbook after a lot of playing around in the kitchen. You can purchase your own copy here:
Don’t miss new recipes from Homemade on a Weeknight – subscribe and get an email with every new post!