There are many nights that I actually put more effort into the side dish than the main course – usually because I am grilling steaks or baking chicken. Rice dishes are a favorite in my home, and who doesn’t love cheese? That’s how I came by this super gooey Cheesy Rice & Broccoli recipe!
It is really simple to put together. The secret here is to brown the rice some before you add the water. This helps the rice keep it’s structure but still get tender – so you don’t end up with a mushy mess. I use fresh broccoli but it will work with frozen broccoli too. You will just have to wait a little longer for the broth to boil before you cover the pan.
The other secret to this Cheesy Rice & Broccoli dish is the Parmesan cheese. It adds a layer of salty goodness that brings the whole dish together. Combining the Sharp Cheddar with Parmesan Cheese will make you seem so fancy too!
This dish would go great with any number of beef, chicken or pork dishes. It would also make a great weekend lunch dish. If you like this recipe and would like some more Side Dish ideas – check out the Homemade on a Weeknight Cookbook, which has a whole Side Dish Section! You can order it in Paperback or Kindle eBook versions from Amazon.
Cheesy Rice & Broccoli
- 2 cups Long Grain Rice
- 4 cups Chicken Bone Broth
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 2 cups Broccoli Florets
- 3 Garlic Cloves minced
- 2 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan Cheese shredded
- 1 cup Heavy Cream
- Prepare all of the ingredients
- In a large pot over medium heat, add oil and garlic. Cook for 3 minutes then add rice. Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, for about 3 more minutes (until rice is toasted).
- Add chicken broth and broccoli to pan and stir. Bring to a boil. Then cover, reduce heat to medium and let cook for 15 minutes. NO PEEKING!
- Add cheese and stir until fully melted. Stir in heavy cream. Place cover back on pan and let cook another 4-5 minutes.